Saturday, September 01, 2012

Over the River and Through the Woods...


For a few years now Mom and Dad have been saying, "We've GOT to take you to River Landing" and for one reason or another, it has never worked out. So last Friday I woke up in Saskatoon and said, "How about we go to River Landing today?" so we did. And it was awesome! And I cannot wait until Sam and Rachel are a little bigger so we can all go and check it out together.

Saskatoon is divided by the North Saskatchewan River and so River Landing is a beautiful new place to walk right along the river bank. It is nicely landscaped and there are little surprising features all along it. Like the tree grates. Each one was unique and I just needed to share a few all of them with you since I couldn't pick a favourite!


I loved the fountain with the beavers playing in it and building their dam and I recognized the half hidden canoes immediately. I knew if Sam had been there he would have been running around them and hiding in them too!

But my favourite part was the splash pad. It was all set up like you were walking across the prairies.

And Mom and Dad didn't actually know it was a splash park until I touched a pole that said, "Touch me!" and I did and Dad had to run away so he and Rachel didn't get wet. Although Dad might have gotten a little sprayed! Sorry :)

Here's Rachel hanging out over the river in Edmonton where we used to live!

There are a lot of wind turbines in southern Alberta which are represented by the windmill. And the border is delineated by old licence plates which I thought was super-cool!

Here's Saskatoon, wheat and the North Saskatchewan River coming down to meet the South Saskatchewan. They even had Diefenbaker Dam which you could open and close to stop the water. (You can see a corner of the dam in the bottom left hand corner.) And all the water from the splash pad flowed into a marsh where it watered plants there. Another feature of River Landing is that it is environmentally sustainable.

And the part of River Landing we visited (which is all that is developed right now -- they're working on more), was built on the site of the Saskatoon Power House so all the tree grates leading up to the park commemorated that fact. (And how did I manage to get a picture of one of the few which didn't have a tree planted in it? For shame...) There is a picture of the building, the logo SPH, and a quote by George Ohm explaining what an Ohm is. Then there is the equation for the ohm (in fact, there are four equations!). It's a very cool grate and I encourage you to click on the picture to enlarge it and see all the details.

In some ways I wished I still lived in Saskatoon because there have been a lot of great changes to the city since I left. River Landing, you are definitely one of them!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a really neat place. Oh how I would have loved to hit that button with my dad in the water spray zone. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thanks to you I am now singing the "Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go....the horse knows the way to carry the sleigh...". Um NOT the song I wanted to sing. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)