Monday, May 06, 2013

Flowers Are My Love Language

After my flying lesson on Saturday, Dave dropped me off at my favourite nursery (okay, really they're all my favourites!) so that I could buy some annuals while he went and picked up the kids. Oh. My. Word. I LOVE flowers. If you've read this blog for any length of time you will have noticed that I post a lot about flowers -- cut ones, the ones I've planted, etc. Flowers really ARE my love language. I don't think I can really explain to you how happy I was browsing, on my own, in the annuals greenhouse and dreaming about what I wanted my our yard to look like this summer. And I took a ton of pictures. I just love all the possibilities found in a greenhouse of annuals and my imagination.
 
 
 
Then it was time to reap the consequences of my imagination. Somehow I came home with 144 separate plants. I'm not quite sure how THAT happened. So then I pulled out all my pots and planters (and any container that would hold a few plants) and got to work.
 
Sam was eager to help me control the damage realize my vision!
Mixing up dirt, filling planters, planting plants -- these things make me sooooo happy :) Can you tell?!? After filling five planters and about a fifth of my huge bed I was done. So I decided to wake up early on Sunday morning and get back at it. You can just call me "crazy flower lady." The voice in my head sure was, when she wasn't demanding to go back to bed that is :) But I finished another two planters and some more of the bed so it was totally worth it. And then I did the rest of the planters and almost all of the rest of the bed on Sunday evening. (We went straight from church to volunteering at a concert to supper to putting the kids to bed which is why I was outside at 8:30 at night trying to get more things planted.)
This is me making a face at Dave because he suggested that working with dirt in my church clothes was maybe not the most sensible thing to be doing. I thought he was wrong. And as of 7:18 this morning I have nine planters finished (and that doesn't include three other ones in our yard) and 44 plants in our big flower bed. Look for a return of "Things Which Grow In My Garden" starting next week likely. I won't bore you with the (mostly) little green plants everywhere today. (More than I already have, that is). I've even added a new post label for it so you can see them all at once. Flower nerd alert :)
 
And lest you think that it's just (im)perfectly planted flowers which make me happy, I thought I would share this bowl of dandelions with you. They were picked with love by Sam for Dave and I at our friends' house. They suffered from being in the hot car for a few hours but they were given, and received, with no less love. In fact, they make me teary-eyed moreso than all my gazillions of annuals which I picked out with a more discerning eye (probably), but a lot less love.

8 comments:

  1. You brought home 144 plants?! I'm wondering how many calories you burned planting all those suckers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooohhhhhhhh Girl we are totally soulmates!! So jealous of your 144!! Can't wait to see how they grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I salute your courage and imagination re the previous "flying" post and I totally understand the way flowers can make your heart sing. Tripoli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love flowers but hate the work involved in growing them. I'll enjoy your posts and live vicariously through you as I stick to trees and shrubs with a lot less maintenance needs for now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I have exactly 5 green bean plants. You should be proud :) Hah. :) Somehow I managed to miss the fact that you bought a house!!!! (I blame March's endless bouts of sickness in our house!!) So exciting- can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't grow vegetables -- except for tomatoes :) Although if we didn't have our CSA I might grow a few other things.

      And yeah, we bought our house at the end of March so I can see how you would have missed that announcement. I think if you check out the March 27th and 28th posts you will get the full story.

      We had a lot of sickness at our house too this past winter. I'm so glad it's finally nicer weather again.

      Delete
  6. I wish I had a green thumb! I can't wait to see pictures of your yard this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will likely get annoyed of all the pictures of our yard this summer and wish I would talk about something else for awhile :)

      Delete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)