Thursday, October 31, 2013

Introducing Spooky-Wooky-Looky-Pooky

Last night we carved our pumpkin. Last year this was a two hour affair and we all really enjoyed the process. This year both Rachel and I were feeling under the weather and we had a time crunch to get Sam to bed in time so we worked really quickly. However, I think the kids still had fun.

Sam chose the design based on the jack-o-lantern from Oliver and Amanda's Hallowe'en by Jean Van Leeuwen. I made the first cut and Sam helped me scoop out the insides.
Sam's idea of a good time was to scoop out the insides one seed at a time! I quickly demonstrated the proper (faster) way to do it, and he was convinced it was an excellent okay idea.
Then Rachel rolled up her sleeves and got in on the action.
It actually took her almost until the end to decide that sticking her hand in the pumpkin was fun and not something to be scared of.
Then we got to work on carving the face. I did the nose and eyes because they were easy. Dave got to do the mouth because I had no patience for it he was better at it!
Then it was time to light name our pumpkin. Sam offered up the name "Sam" but we thought that might be a little confusing. He informed us that no one at school wanted to name their class pumpkin "Sam" either. Ha ha ha!!! So Sam then came up with "Spooky-Wooky-Looky-Pooky." All those names rhyme, by the way. We concurred that it was an excellent jack-o-lantern name.
Of course we had to light Spooky (as we call it for short). Rachel was very intrigued by the whole thing.


And that was our pumpkin carving experience this year. Have a Happy Hallowe'en!

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I love that the kiddos have their own aprons, too cute! BTW, I'm Brooke, a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name! It cracks me up what Sam said about his class. lol. We didn't do jack-o-lanterns this year, but when we did them last, ours were named Cutie Pie and Grouchy Boy. lol. I love Rachel's face as she is trying to figure something out. She is just so darn pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! That Sam is a character. Poor little guy was disappointed nobody wanted to name their pumpkin after him. Sam, I think your name is just PERFECT, and I bet everyone else wishes they could be a Sam. :-) I do love the Spooky Wooky Looky Pooky...very good use of your rhyming skills, Sam! So this is probably the one difference I have noted between Rachel and her twin, Brody. Brody absolutely loves putting his hand in the pumpkin and pulling out the guts. He does a very good job cleaning it out although some will inevitably end up on the floor. Evan is our I don't want to stick my hand in the yucky pumpkin kid. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)