Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Weekend What: Dave's Birthday Edition

In case the title doesn't make it clear, this past weekend we celebrated Dave's birthday. And yes, we celebrated every day. On Friday night, we went out for supper with Tim and Janice. Pictured above is Dave's meal. It was three kinds of pork in a port reduction sauce. (That is not blood!) Dave said it was really good. We had so much fun with Tim and Janice and laughed and laughed. We also went to their house and watched the first episode of the new series of Downton Abbey. Now I can't wait to watch the rest of the show.
On Saturday we had nineteen people over for Dave's birthday party. The only picture I took is the one of the manicure I gave Rachel about five minutes before people came. It matches her dress. I'm so talented :) We had a yummy pasta bake with a choice of sausage, ground beef, or vegetarian, garlic bread, and cheesecake samplers. It was all delicious!
On Sunday, Dave's actual birthday, we went out for brunch with Dave's parents. The restaurant we went too offered Dave this cute birthday bird. I think it was served with a strawberry jam and cream sauce which was delicious and I might start eating all my apples this way. Yum!
After our brunch, Dave's parents took the kids so we could go see Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As we were the last people on earth to see it, the theatre was fairly empty. We both really enjoyed the movie.

My mini review is that it doesn't disappoint people who have grown up with Star Wars, maintains continuity with the originals (Episodes 4-6) while still adding new interest, draws new people in, and when Harrison Ford appeared, I have to admit, my smile was pretty wide. Unfortunately, our only option was to see it in 3D and I am blaming my current neck soreness on the fact that I had to duck as a fighter or two flew off the screen and was headed right for me. (I hate seeing things in 3D.)

Then I spent the rest of Dave's actual birthday in bed as I was feeling awful -- sore throat, headache, coughing. It was pretty special.
Last night, I made Dave's favourite meal, stroganoff, and so the birthday fun continued.

Now, however, we are back to real life. Thank you to everyone who sent birthday wishes to Dave. He really appreciated them all.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, so I think my expectation of Star Wars was too high. It was IDENTICAL to Episode 4. IDENTICAL. Like, super important information stolen, crashes on desert planet, droid finds super important person, yada yada yada. I also was happy to see Harrison Ford but equally happy when he died, because you could just tell his heart wasn't in the role. Apparently he only took the role if they promised him for only one movie. All negativity aside, I do love that they returned to the original "feel" of Episodes 4-6, rather than over-CGI-ing it like the disaster that was Episodes 1-3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this season of downton! Although it's really disappointing this will be the last season. I also loved the new Star Wars movie! I thought it was a great way to get back into the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Jason has seen the new Star Wars, but I haven't. (It's so hard to figure out solo dates now!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Dave and I are definitely "soul mates" who share a love of all thinks pork. ;-) I too am looking forward to the new season of Downton, but I am so bummed out that this is the last one. I may let the episodes record on the DVR and save them up for a while so it won't all end as soon. Ha! That's the way I like seeing my movies...in an almost empty movie theater. Did I ever mention I am a bit claustrophobic? Haha! I loved the new Star Wars movie and especially the new female heroine. It was about time there was a real female Jedi. Princess Leia never became a Jedi. I nearly spit out my coffee on your review about hurting your neck ducking the fighters. I don't really like 3D movies either because I hate having to wear the glasses, and I think the 3D really distorts and diminishes the picture quality. Wow, you guys really feasted well that weekend. All of the food sounded divine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)